Rolls-Royce launched “The Silver Wraith” following the end of World War II. Although the sweeping fenders and separately-mounted Lucas headlights were carried over from the pre-war manufacturing, disc wheels and white wall tires replaced the old wire-wheel design.
In the traditional style of coachbuilding, the design and interior specifications — the selection of wood for the panel, the color and selection of leather upholstery, etc.– were often left up to the client. But frequently the client would add new ideas such as this refreshment cabinet to make their car “one of a kind.”
The original plan for this car included a dickey-seat or rumble seat but during construction the plans were changed by the owner. Even though holes were already drilled for the seat, a large refreshment cabinet was ordered, and its design was configured to take its place. Crystal liquor decanters and highball glasses were custom blown by Waterford Crystal to fit the cabinet.
The coachwork for this 1950 two-passenger Silver Wraith was by H.J. Mulliner, the historic coachbuilding company in London. It was the only Drophead (convertible) Roadster ever built by the company.